No one expects to be diagnosed with prostate cancer. Unfortunately, it is the second leading type of cancer in American men, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). For men over the age of 60, the CDC says that one in every 100 will develop the condition and need to see a prostate cancer specialist. Prevention is always preferable to any treatment options for prostate cancer. While there is no one “silver bullet” prevention technique, there are things you can do to stay healthy. Here are just a few ways to do that:
- Quit smoking. Some people do not realize that lung cancer is not the only form of the disease that can be caused by smoking. If you do smoke, quitting can help prevent developing prostate cancer. Smokers who are diagnosed with the form of cancer are often found to have more aggressive forms of the disease than non-smokers. This could be one of the best things you can do for your overall health.
- Eat more produce. This is also good for your overall health. Prostate cancer specialists say eating more fresh fruit and vegetables can also help prevent the development of the disease. Not only do green vegetables have certain compounds that destroy carcinogens in your body but when you eat these throughout the day, you have a healthier diet overall. This can inhibit the development of a host of cancers.
- Think red. Red foods, such as tomatoes, are loaded with lycopene. This is a powerful antioxidant, which has been found to do a number of good things for you. It has been shown to inhibit prostate cancer development and growth. Red and ripe tomatoes are perfect for this. The redder the tomato, the better. As a tomato ripens, the amount of lycopene increases. This is also already in a form that is easy for your body to use.
- Add fish to your diet. Fish is a healthy protein to eat. It is packed with omega-3 fatty acid, which prostate cancer specialists say is good to prevent this kind of cancer. Not all fish is created equal in this regard. If you are looking for more omega-3, you should look for salmon, tuna, mackerel, trout and sardines. If you really do not like fish, you can take supplements but you have to couple the supplements with a low fat diet. If you are already undergoing prostate cancer treatment, this kind of diet can help. Omega 3 has been shown to also slow the progression of cancer.
- Get more isoflavones. This has been found to prevent prostate cancer. You can find this nutrient in soy products (such as tofu of tempeh), chickpeas, peanuts and lentils. Tofu and tempeh are also good, low fat sources of protein and including them in places where you would have meat, can help inhibit the growth of all kinds of cancer cells in your body.
- Have another cup of Joe. Some people think that coffee is not good for you but more and more evidence has come out that it is actually great for you. It can help with depression, for instance. Prostate cancer specialists say that it is great for cancer prevention. To get the great effects of coffee without any issues with it, some people get jittery and too much can cause an irregular heart beat, you can drink about a cup and a half a day, according to the Mayo Clinic. The way you make it also has an impact. Men who drink French brewed or boiled coffee get more out of it than people who make filtered coffee.
- Get the right kind of fat. Animal fats have been shown to increase the incidence of cancer. Using plant based fats are better to prevent cancer.
- Move more. Getting more exercise does a lot of things for your health. Experts in prostate cancer options say that it is a great way to prevent this kind of cancer. It is also a lot more fun than any treatment of prostate cancer.
Cancer is scary. Prostate cancer specialists say that there are newer treatments that are less invasive but the best treatment is really prevention. These steps can help you lead a healthier and cancer free life.